Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chili With a Lid

I served this casserole, which I made-up from leftover chili, at the first dinner party we ever hosted, a few weeks after we were married. That was a few weeks shy of six years ago now! It's always a hit. If you make the chili a bit on the mild side, but serve hotter salsas on the side, everyone can have the spice level they prefer. At that dinner party I also served a homemade tomatilla salsa verde. It turned out very well, but took hours. So now I buy salsa verde in jars at Trader Joes :)

Ingredients:
1 batch chili
2 boxes cornbread mix (Jiffy, or the store brand equivilant)


3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese
Heat oven to 375. Scoop chili (preferably from the day before - it actually tastes better the next day) into 13 x 9 pan. Heat in oven for about 30 minutes.
.
.
Remove from oven:



.

.
.

.
.
.
..
.
.
Top w/ shredded cheddar:
.

.
.

.
.
.
..
.
.
Combine cornbread mix, eggs and milk and pour over cheese.
.
.
.
.
..
..
...
.
..
.
Return to oven. Start at about 25 minutes, then watch it until the cornbread top looks finished.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

congrats on the upcoming anniversary. Mr. right loves my chili and we have it often, so i'll definitely have to try this too change things up a bit

Mom2fur said...

This looks delicious. We love chili, and we love cornbread--putting them both together is a great idea!

Unknown said...

I've had your Chili with a Lid and I say this is wonderful!!

Janice

Anonymous said...

Cornbread? Really? That's the first time I've ever seen that.