Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Zucchini Oven Fries

Well I had more zucchini, and I started to think about oven fries (both potato and sweet potato) and vegetable tempura, and wondering if I could make something similar. I looked up some recipes on Google, but didn't find one I loved, so I did this:

4 large zucchini, cut in half and then in small strips - about pencil thickness.

whites of 2 eggs

1/2 cup panko (tempura style Japanese bread crumbs)
1/4 cup flour
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder (which is not very hot - use a hotter one if you prefer)
bit of celery salt - just a whim, I'm sure you could skip it
freshly ground pepper (1 teaspoon?)
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder




Preheat oven to 450. Grease a large cookie pan (I brushed mine with olive oil). Beat the egg whites in a mixer to stiff peaks stage.


Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Dip a few zucchini sticks at a time in the egg white, and then roll in crumb mixture. Arrange on pan:



Bake for about 15 minutes, turn the fries, return to oven, and bake another 15 - 20 minutes. (I only cooked them for about twenty-five, but they needed a little bit longer)

I have to say these turned out VERY good. Fairly low fat, but yet very tasty. We had them as a side dish with cheeseburgers.



No comments: