Monday, July 14, 2008

Chili

2 pounds ground beef, browned
1 pound each onion and bell pepper, chopped (or two pounds frozen mixture of the two - I get mine at BJs)
6 cans kidney beans (light, dark, or both)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (just thick tomatoes, not seasoned)
1 jar salsa (or the last bits of three different types, as I did)
chopped garlic
juice of one lime

spices:
cilantro (approx 2 T)
cumin (approx 1 T)
oregano (approx 2 T)
ground red peppers: (chili powder, ancho, paprika, cayenne ...) (about 4T total of all types)
salt (1 T)
pepper(1T)
cocoa powder (yes, I said cocoa powder - it really makes a difference - add a tablespoon or so)

T = tablespoon

Combine all the ingredients in crockpot, and cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with shredded cheddar, topped with sour cream, and possibly salsa. I served this round with a simple corn pone - but it didn't turn out as well as I hoped, so I won't bother sharing the recipe. Corn chips or french bread are also good foils. A salad would be a nice side dish.

Don't eat it all today - tomorrow: one of my favorite casseroles, using this chili: Chili with a Lid

No comments: