Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cheesy Cabbage Bake

Cabbage and I are just getting to know each other. It's not a vegetable I grew up eating frequently. We didn't even eat coleslaw very much - and I've never acquired the taste for it. And sauerkraut? I never got past the smell.

But when we lived in South Carolina I found out that brussel sprouts are not only tolerable, but pretty darn good when roasted in the oven with a pound of sliced kielbasa.

So when my CSA share included cabbage, I wanted to find a new way to cook it. In the past I've sauteed it with a little salt and pepper, and served it with pierogies. EVERYTHING tastes better with pierogies. But I don't want to get stuck in a cabbage rut, so:





Cheesey Cabbage Bake

wilt in a large pan (I used my Le Creuset Dutch Oven):


  • coarsely shredded head of cabbage, seasoned lightly w/ salt and pepper

after it has cooked for about twenty minutes (stir occasionally), mix:



  • a few tablespoons of stone ground Dijon mustard

  • 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar.


Stir the vinegar mixture into the cabbage.

Spread the cabbage in a 13 x 9 pan. Grate a bit of nutmeg on top. Top with shredded cheese - a great time to use the small bits left in your cheese drawer. Today mine yielded a few tablespoons of romano, some dubliner and some Jarlsberg.

Bake at 375 until the cheese melts.




I served it with pork bratwurst, sliced and browned in my dutch oven. A slice of tomato basil bread rounded out the plate. The Southern resident approved. He went back for a second helping of the cheesy cabbage casserole. (and was highly amused as I photographed our dinner)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Believe me, if I cooked as well as you, I'd photograph my dinners! ;)