Friday, July 18, 2008

Nothing Fancy: Egg Salad on Lettuce

To avoid spending money and calories needlessly, I normally bring my lunch to work. Even though it is very convenient to order lunch at my office (we have it delivered daily), the $7 or $8 you pay for a sandwich or salad is seldom worth it. So except for once or twice a month, when I was either too lazy or too busy to pack my lunch, I brown bag it. (Or more precisely, I bring a plastic grocery bag with Tupperware)

A protein salad on a bed of greens is one of my favorites:

8 large eggs
~ 1/4 cup mayonaisse (I used light mayo)
~ 1/4 cup whole grain mustard

Place eggs in a medium size pot, and fill with cold water. Cover and place on burner on medium. Bring up to boil, and then turn the burner off. Do not uncover, do no remove from burner. After an hour or more, drain the eggs and run cold water until they are cool to the touch.

Peel and roughly chop eggs. Add mayo and mustard, and mix until the egg yolks are no longer visible as little bits.

This made three lunch servings of egg salad. I served on a bed of lettuce (mixture of romaine and butter lettuce this week), with baby tomatoes.

.

No comments: