Friday, July 11, 2008

When Life Gives You Zucchini ...

.... make zucchini casseroles!

The CSA share this week:



















It was actually only supposed to include 4 zucchini, but there is a "trade" box, so if you don't like something you can trade for a different vegetable. I didn't think the cucumbers look too great, so I traded mine for zucchini.



My thrown together casserole included:

2 large onions (Vidalia, actually), chopped and cooked


some chopped garlic (again my little Trader Joes garlic cubes)


fresh chopped basil, rosemary and parsley from my garden - generous handfuls


3 zucchini, sliced into half moons


2 cans of diced tomatoes, drained


about 2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained


1 cup leftover cooked rice from my freezer


salt, pepper (I was heavy handed with the fresh ground pepper - gave it a nice bite)


shredded mozzarella


bread crumbs

I combined all of the ingredients except the cheese and bread crumbs, poured it into a 13 x 9 pan, and then topped it off with the cheese and crumbs. Then bake at 375 for a bit longer than I did - I probably baked it twenty-five minutes, but we were hungry and impatient. Forty minutes would probably be perfect.

It was SO wonderfully fragrant with the fresh herbs and garlic. Next time I think I would do the same thing, but with Italian sausage instead of the browned beef.


No comments: