Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Weeknight Salmon


Simple weeknight meal - I think this one was under 15 minutes total prep, if you don't count the time the salmon was marinating.

Marinate salmon in an equal mixture of soy sauce and sherry. (Weird, I know, but it works!)

When you get home, start a large skillet on high. When it gets quite hot, turn it down a little and add some oil to the pan. (I used olive oil and sesame oil, but any oil with a high smoke point will be fine.)

Add the salmon, flesh side down, to the sizzling pan. Cook for about three minutes.

Meanwhile, I peeled and sliced a cucumber. I then ... pay close attention here .. opened a bottle of SALAD DRESSING from my fridge. Apply this carefully to a pile of cucumber slices.

Using a very thin spatula, flip the salmon pieces. (the thin spatula means you'll leave less of the tasty fish attached to the pan). Turn down the heat, and pour the marinating juice over the fish. Cook until the fish is as you prefer. I like my salmon medium rare. The southerner likes his a bit more cooked.

Serve with a side of soy sauce, teriyaki or similar topping.

No comments: